Thursday, June 20, 2013

Happy New Year!


It seems that 2005 just began, and now it's over, and we're in 2006! Whew! Is anyone else as amazed as I am by how quickly that year passed?

Most people seem to view the passing of one year, and the beginning of another, as the perfect time to look back at our lives, and assess what worked and what didn't, and, also, to look forward to determine where we want to focus in the year ahead. With that in mind, I'm going to share my goals for 2006 with you.

  • I will spend quality time, each day, with my family. By "quality time," I mean that I must be present with them mentally, as well as physically. Too often, when we are with family and friends, we are busy planning what we are going to do later, trying to solve a problem or regretting something that is in the past. Time spent with others is so much more meaningful to them and to us, if we can remind ourselves to focus on the present moment. I always make an effort to do this, but I need to restate this goal constantly to remind myself of this commitment. It's so easy to become so busy, that we forget what our priorities are.

  • I will continue to study, learn, gain understanding, and pursue my interests. One of the most important factors in education is interest. At all of my workshops, I remind parents and teens to follow their interests and to learn all they can about those subjects. Math, science, reading, history and the other traditional school subjects, are covered naturally, by learning about things that interest you. And the more you pursue those topics that you find fascinating, the more topics you will discover.

  • I will encourage my family, my friends and others with whom I come in contact to pursue their interests. This will nurture their love and joy of learning, and lead to greater fulfillment in their lives, which will in turn enrich the lives of people they know.

  • I will meet new people, read new books, visit new places, look at problems from new perspectives, and take advantage of new opportunities. This is one of my favorite goals in the past, and I already know that it will lead me to some great experiences in the future. I am sometimes fearful of the future, but by setting this as a goal, it encourages me to move forward, face my fears, and, in most cases, it leads to something better.

  • I will begin and end each day by counting my blessings. Sometimes when problems seem to surround us, the quickest and easiest way to find solutions, is to look at what we already have. I am amazed by, and very, very grateful for the good that fills my life.

  • I will treat all the people in my life, including myself, kindly. Sometimes it is easier to be kind to others, than it is to be kind to ourselves. I have discovered that, for the most part, everyone is doing the best they can. Sometimes people are grumpy or angry or depressed, but usually things have happened in their lives that have led them to those feelings, and even if they are not being kind to me, they are probably doing the best they can, at that moment. Sometimes I am grumpy or angry or depressed, but, just as with others I meet, for the most part, I am doing the best I can, at that moment. Notice that in both cases I just mentioned, the key words are "at that moment." It doesn't mean that it is the best that I or others are capable of doing, but, that it is the best at that time, considering the circumstances. If I am patient, and forgiving of myself and others, everyone's lives will be enriched. If I blame myself or others, it will be harder to move beyond the anger, fear, sadness...

  • I will laugh often, give and accept hugs, and have a positive mental attitude. All of these things improve the quality of my health and my life.

That is my list. I chose the things that work for me. Your list may be different. Whatever your goals, dreams, hopes and aspirations may be, I wish you well with them. Thinking about them is the first step toward achieving them! Have a great year!

Resolutely,

Ruth

---

We're still not where we're going, but we're not where we were.” ~Natash Jasefowitz

Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.”
~ Benjamin Franklin

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ” ~Epictetus:

You've got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.” ~Yogi Berra

No comments:

Post a Comment